Red Wing Ignite fuels economic development by working with key sectors of the community and region to spur innovation by supporting entrepreneurs, businesses and students.
We are a collaborative team of driven leaders, and we would like you to be a part of it! Red Wing Ignite is seeking an Entrepreneur Lead to fulfill the work of the EDA i6 challenge grant, a 3- year initiative. The grant has three key components that are interconnected in terms of grant outcomes and sustainability: advance innovators and entrepreneurs, enhance regional connectivity and cultivate the workforce of the future.
The Entrepreneur Lead will be responsible for developing and mentoring a pipeline of
entrepreneurial talent from the 11 counties in Southeast Minnesota.
This is a contract position with compensation of $40,000/year.
Time Commitment – 20 hours per week/average
Skills, Abilities, Qualifications:
• Demonstrated ability to teach, coach and mentor others both virtually and in person.
• Ability to build relationships, track record of forming collaborations and
• Seasoned entrepreneurial experience: must have started, operated, or
advised multiple businesses.
• Finance experience: budgeting, accounting, investment, pitching capital
• Ability to work virtually and in-person at Red Wing Ignite offices when
• Ability to travel and work flexible hours to cover Southeast MN.
• Knowledge of the entrepreneurial landscape startup best practices.
• Product/service design, manufacturing, supply chain and
support experience is a plus.
• Experience with intellectual property (patents and trademarks) is a plus.
• Basic technical knowledge and ability to understand complex technical
products is a plus.
• Working knowledge of GSuite required. Working in salesforce is a plus.
Responsibilities and Activities:
• Support and Supervise the delivery of the Lean Startup Program and other
educational workshops in conjunction with the Administrative Team at Red Wing
Ignite Recruit a diverse range of participants.
• Assist in planning & execution of the annual E1 Ignite Cup startup pitch event and
other pitch events.
Move entrepreneurs through a customized mentorship process
• Mentor entrepreneurs to guide them to the next step in their journey to create a
• Utilize Technical Assistance Fund resources to help entrepreneurs with
prototyping hurdles or other barriers in realizing their proof of concept
• Coach entrepreneurs 1:1 on best practices for topics such as incorporation,
finance, intellectual property, investment capital, pitching clients and developing
business operating infrastructure.
Grow RWI’s regional connectivity by supporting our E1 initiative in Southeast
• Build and grow relationships within the E1 collaborative as a member of the E1
team. Support the E1 team with knowledge, referrals, and resources.
• Work toward continuous improvement in E1 processes.
• Tracking: Interviews with E1 participants using shared platforms, surveys of E1
entrepreneurs, electronic surveys of event participants, media and web.
documentation, website analytics for regional calendar.
• Attend RWI and E1 collaborative team meetings and key events.
• Report weekly for grant deliverables
• Budget reporting / mileage reimbursements and related expenditures
*Red Wing Ignite procurement transactions are in accordance with the Procurement
Standards of the Uniform Guidance set out at 2 C.F.R. §§ 200.317 through 200.326, as
Tech and Entrepreneurial Ecosystem VISTA
Come Join our Collaborative Team!!
Red Wing Ignite fuels economic development by working with key sectors of the community to spur innovation by supporting entrepreneurs, businesses, and students. A federally funded grant is supporting us to “Ignite Innovation in Rural Minnesota,” with three focus areas: Advancing Innovators and Entrepreneurs; Enhancing Regional Connectivity and Cultivating the Workforce of the Future.
This VISTA Member’s capacity building will be at the intersection of all three. This pilot project is designed to be an inclusive, integrated approach to building a tech and entrepreneurial ecosystem through hands-on experiential learning and skills training in Entrepreneurial Career Pathways, prioritizing BIPOC, female and rural entrepreneurs and business owners.
Our VISTA Member will build capacity through outreach and engagement with existing networks and expand relationships with other economic development organizations and entrepreneurial support organizations. In the same geographic area, the VISTA Member will seek and recruit individuals for the entrepreneurial training opportunities Red Wing offers including Innovation Workshops, Lean Startup courses and a variety of business support workshops and classes. This pilot will build the capacity of Red Wing Ignite as an Innovation Center, strengthening our network across Southeast MN.
Our VISTA Member’s capacity building efforts will provide the framework, connectivity, and partnerships for us to establish a more inclusive approach for reaching and serving BIPOC entrepreneurs in rural communities. These efforts will be connecting a network of support for individuals interested in exploring the possibility of starting a business and the skills needed to own and operate a business. This pilot will contribute mightily to Red Wing Ignites collective impact as an Innovation Center in Southeast MN stewarding an innovation ecosystem